Friday, March 2, 2012

Mar. 1 and 2

March 1:
I was on the road in Santa Fe speaking at the Southwest Fire Ecology conference yesterday so I am catching up on things.  Before I discuss today's forecast here I'll give a brief summary of the conditions from yesterday. A shortwave trough and cold front moved through the state and caused high winds and blowing dust. As I was driving back from Santa Fe the strong southwesterly winds blew sand and dust across much of I-25. Hardest hit was in Valencia county that must have a lot of erodible land near the road (see photo below taken about 1:30pm).

March 2:
Today we will be expecting another wind day. At least here in Las Cruces the NWS forecast is calling for "Windy, with a west wind 21 to 24 mph increasing to between 29 and 32 mph. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph."

The AQI forecast is showing moderate air quality for the Paso del Norte, Dona Ana and parts of Otero county.

No comments:

Post a Comment